API RP 1173 provides pipeline operators with a
comprehensive way to make safe operations and continuous safety improvement a constant focus of their operations. RCP has helped companies assess and develop safety
management systems, taking them from having nothing in place to having a sustainable, improving system. RCP utilizes API RP 1173 and current internal safety and compliance
systems to begin the process of creating a viable Safety Management System. Safety Management Systems are an area where companies can visibly demonstrate their Safety
RCP can assist operators in the implementation and evaluation of the maturity levels of each element of the Pipeline Safety Management Systems RP 1173. RCP can
also assist operators to establish and manage action plans for further development of the safety management system using RCP's web-based Compliance Management
System (CMS). RCP's Gap Assessment Tool would be utilized for the initial evaluation. Key features of this tool include:
- Can be used by an Operator to determine their conformance status to the Pipeline Safety Management System (PSMS) RP 1173.
- Consolidated results of multiple assessments across the organization to measure internal progress.
- Can identify the specific requirements that, if implemented, can serve as the backbone for a continuous improvement cycle for the implementation of the rest of the PSMS RP 1173.
RCP can assist with the development of a comprehensive safety management system that will include the essential elements for any PSMS implemented under RP 1173:
- Leadership and Management Commitment
- Stakeholder engagement
- Risk Management
- Operational Controls
- Incident Investigation, Evaluation and Lessons Learned
- Safety Assurance
- Management Review and Continuous Improvement
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Competence, Awareness and Training
- Documentation and Record Keeping
RCP can assist in the update or development of processes identified in RP 1173 including:
- Assessing existing processes, identifying weaknesses and proposing solutions.
- Documenting or updating the process documentation.
- Developing training materials.
- Operations and Maintenance Manuals
- Control room Management Procedures
- Inspection and Maintenance Manuals
- Operator Qualification Manuals
- Emergency Response Plans
- Safe Work Practices
RCP can assist in setting up a risk management program by:
- Developing procedures for a risk program.
- Identifying the data to be used in risk assessment and management.
- Identification of risks to pipeline safety.
- Development of documentation of the likelihood and severity of the hazards from the identified risks.
- Development of options for mitigating the hazards.
RCP can assist in the improvement of the Pipeline Safety Management System by:
- Conducting incident investigations.
- Managing third party or independent review of incident investigations.
- Trend analysis.
- Leading and/or participating in internal and third party audits.
- Assessing risk management and safety performance.
- Evaluating the organization's safety culture and the maturity of the safety management system.