[Docket No. PHMSA-2016-0128]
The Voluntary Information-sharing System (VIS) Working Group will convene on August 23, 2018, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET at the U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, Washington, DC 20590 to discuss and identify recommendations to establish a voluntary information-sharing system. The VIS Working Group agenda will include briefings on topics such as mandate requirements, integrity management, data types and tools, in-line inspection and other direct assessment methods, geographic information system implementation, subcommittee considerations, lessons learned, examples of existing information-sharing systems, safety management systems, and more. As part of its work, the committee will ultimately provide recommendations to the Secretary, as required and specifically outlined in Section 10 of Public Law 114-183, addressing:
- The need for, and the identification of, a system to ensure that dig verification data are shared with in-line inspection operators to the extent consistent with the need to maintain proprietary and security-sensitive data in a confidential manner to improve pipeline safety and inspection technology;
- Ways to encourage the exchange of pipeline inspection information and the development of advanced pipeline inspection technologies and enhanced risk analysis;
- Opportunities to share data, including dig verification data between operators of pipeline facilities and in-line inspector vendors to expand knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of in-line inspection technology and methodologies;
- Options to create a secure system that protects proprietary data while encouraging the exchange of pipeline inspection information and the development of advanced pipeline inspection technologies and enhanced risk analysis;
- Means and best practices for the protection of safety and security-sensitive information and proprietary information; and
- Regulatory, funding, and legal barriers to sharing the information described in paragraphs (a) through (d).
The Secretary will publish the VIS Working Group’s recommendations on a publicly available DOT website and in the docket. The VIS Working Group will fulfill its purpose once its recommendations are published online. The meeting agenda and additional information will be published on the following VIS Working Group registration page.
This meeting will be open to the public. Members of the public who attend in person will also be provided an opportunity to make a statement during the meetings. Members of the public who wish to attend in person should register no later than August 16, 2018. The meetings will not be webcast; however, presentations will be available on the meeting website and posted on the E-Gov website under docket number PHMSA-2016-0128 within 30 days following the meeting.
For information about the meeting, contact Dr. Christie Murray by phone at (202) 366-4996 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.