The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is issuing a combined $89.9 million in Fiscal Year 2018 grants from its Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety programs. The grants will be awarded to states, local communities, tribal entities, and non-profit organizations to support state pipeline and hazardous materials safety programs. Grantees will use awarded funds to train first responders; educate the public on local safety initiatives, including pipeline damage prevention; and develop community incident response plans.
PHMSA will award $3.7 million to four states as part of a new federal-state partnership in the oversight of underground natural gas storage safety. Other grants to states include $56 million Pipeline State Base Formula Grants to 46 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico to support their participation in the federal-state base pipeline safety program, as well as $20.5 million in Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness (HMEP) grants to all 50 states, five U.S. territories, and eight federally recognized Tribes and Tribal organizations. The other grant awards include:
- $1.1 million under One Call Grants to support 46 projects in 31 states
- $3.6 million under Hazardous Materials Instructor Training (HMIT) grants
- $1 million under Supplemental Public Sector Training (SPST) grants
- $1.5 million under the State Damage Prevention Program (SDPP) grant that will support 24 projects in 24 states
- $1.5 million under Technical Assistance Grants (TAG) for 20 projects in 14 states
- $1 million under Community Safety Grants (CSG) that will support three projects in three states.
PHMSA will continue to support states and localities in further promoting the use of 811, so that everyone knows to Call Before You Dig. PHMSA also issued several additional grants to state entities, local communities, and non-profit organizations to support the design and implementation of hazardous materials planning and training programs, projects that address pipeline safety challenges related to damage prevention, and projects that promote more involvement in local pipeline safety awareness.
For additional grant information and a detailed listing of states, territories, tribes, and organizations receiving PHMSA’s FY18 safety grants, visit PHMSA’s website.