is now offering a 2-day workshop at its facilities in downtown Houston. RCP has
established itself as a leading industry expert on pipeline pressure testing
with clients securing RCP’s services specifically to validate their pressure
Our Pressure Testing Workshop will begin by outlining the objectives for performing a pressure test and how that relates to DOT requirements. The workshop will then build upon these foundations to answer many specific pressure testing questions including:
- What are the different types of tests commonly conducted and how do you design each one?
- What is the theory and physical science behind a pressure test?
- How do you plan for a pressure test from start to finish:
- Cleaning the line
- Environmental hazards and permitting
- Landowner and operations safety
- Customer/stakeholder impact
- Logistical details and scheduling
- Pipeline modifications and anticipating failures
- What is the required instrumentation and how does it need to be configured?
- What data is absolutely necessary to validate a pressure test?
- How do you determine and prove a successful pressure test?
- What does a good test report look like (that will also satisfy PHMSA)?
Each attendee will receive the presentation as well as applicable
handouts in a hardcopy notebook. Attendees will also have the opportunity to
work through 3 different worksheets specifically covering 1) calculating the
SYMS, MAOP and test pressures for various pipeline segments at various
elevations 2) calculating the volume of water required for a hydrotest and
determining how the volume of test water changes with pressure and 3) designing
a complete test plan for a hypothetical pipeline i.e. dividing the line into
test sections, determining the test parameters for each section and specifying
the pressure ratings of equipment needed.
Instructor: This workshop will be lead by W. R. (Bill) Byrd, PE, and Larry C. Decker, PE. Mr. Byrd is President of RCP, and has 32 years of experience as an engineer, pipeline manager, and engineering consultant. Mr. Decker is an executive consultant with RCP Inc. His work experience spans 38 years serving as an operations manager and design/construction engineer.
To register for our workshop, click here.