On February 3, 2010 (75 FR 5460), PHMSA published Advisory Bulletin ADB-10-01 in the Federal Register to notify operators of gas and hazardous liquid pipeline facilities of newly revised incident/accident report forms and instructions. (See related article in the February 2010 edition of the DOT Pipeline Compliance News.) In ADB-10-01, PHMSA announced that the revised forms are to be used for all incidents/accidents occurring on or after January 1, 2010. PHMSA further noted that hard copy filing was required until PHMSA launched a new online system which was targeted for early March 2010.
- This notice advises owners and operators of gas pipeline facilities and hazardous liquid pipeline facilities that the new electronic incident/accident reporting system is available online at the following URL: http://pipelineonlinereporting.phmsa.dot.gov. Each operator may use their current operator ID and PIN from the old system to access the new system. The new online system is for incidents/accidents occurring on or after January 1, 2010.
- The new online system can also be accessed through the old system at the following URL: http://opsweb.phmsa.dot.gov and click on “Incidents on or after Jan 1, 2010” for the respective report type. The old online system is still available for filing supplemental reports for incidents/accidents that occurred prior to January 1, 2010, and is still the system for filing annual reports and Gas Integrity Management Program (IMP) reports.
Incidents and accidents that were previously filed in hard copy
are being entered by PHMSA staff and should not be reentered by the operator
into the system. Operators that have already submitted a hard copy 2010 incident
report as previously instructed in ADB-10-01 should not re-submit that report
using the online system. Where data quality checks are indicated for the hard
copy filed reports, PHMSA will contact operators as needed to facilitate
complete data entry for the initial submissions. Once all reports received in
hard copy have been entered by PHMSA, operators will be able to submit
supplemental reports online if needed. In addition, PHMSA is aligning the hard
copy forms with the new online system by replacing the double asterisks with
the single asterisks for those data fields deemed required for an initial
submission to PHMSA.
PHMSA notes that for hazardous liquid small releases (identified as the areas shaded in gray on the hard copy version of the hazardous liquid accident form), the new online system will accept reporting and does the required logic checks for small releases (those under five barrels that do not involve a fatality, injury, property damage of $50,000 or more, as described in 49 CFR 195.50). However, the new online system does not exclude or hide questions that are not applicable to small releases. Therefore, PHMSA recommends that operators who report such events follow the shaded sections on the hard copy accident form and the guidance provided in the hard copy instructions while entering those events with the online system until a system enhancement is in place to further streamline the online reporting process.
PHMSA appreciates the cooperation of all users of the new online system. For questions regarding filing, please contact:
- Jamerson Pender at 202-366-0218; or
- e-mail at Jamerson.Pender@dot.gov.
- Any questions regarding this new online system requirement can be directed to the Office of Pipeline Safety operator helpline at 202-366-8075.
For a copy of ADB-10-04, contact Jessica Roger.