[Docket No. PHMSA-2021-0039]
PHMSA has issued a new Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) intended to reduce methane emissions from new and existing pipelines, including gas transmission, distribution, regulated gas gathering (Types A, B, C and offshore), underground natural gas storage facilities, and LNG facilities.
Among the proposed amendments for Part 192-regulated gas pipelines are:
- New definitions, including leaks or hazardous leaks,
- Expanded leakage survey and patrolling requirements,
- Performance standards for advanced leak detection programs,
- Leak grading and repair criteria with mandatory repair timelines,
- Requirements for mitigation of emissions from blowdowns,
- Pressure relief device design, configuration, and maintenance requirements,
- Expanded hazardous leak detection for pressure testing,
- Clarified requirements for investigating failures, and
- Expanded reporting requirements.
Comments will be due 60 days after this NPRM is published in the Federal Register. Submit comments through the E-Gov Website for Docket #PHMSA-2021-0039.
For a copy of the NPRM or to discuss how RCP can help prepare for the eventual finalization of this NPRM, contact Jessica Foley.