On November 2, 2022, PHMSA issued new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) as guidance to pipeline operators to help them understand how to comply with existing temporary repair and permanent repair regulations. Although FAQs are not enforceable, an operator who is able to demonstrate compliance with the FAQs is likely to be able to demonstrate compliance with the relevant regulations. Per PHMSA, if a different course of action is taken by a pipeline operator, the operator must be able to demonstrate that their conduct is in accordance with the regulations.
PHMSA responses were given to the following Questions. For a copy of the FAQs, contact Jessica Foley.
- Q1. When must operators make permanent repairs on gas pipelines?
- A1. Permanent repairs to onshore gas gathering and transmission pipelines in high consequence areas
- A2. Repairs to onshore gas transmission pipelines not in an HCA, and which do not operate under an alternative maximum allowable operating pressure (MAOP)
- Q2. When must an operator make an immediate temporary repair on a gas pipeline?
- Q3. How is a temporary repair different from a permanent repair for gas pipelines?
- Q4. How is a temporary repair different from a permanent repair for hazardous liquid pipelines?
- Q5. What steps must an operator take when implementing a temporary or permanent repair of a gas or hazardous liquid pipeline?